Edit: Dec 2020. Apple fixed this bug in Finder late last year. Keeping this article up here for posterity.
Here’s a fun one.
- Load this page in Firefox, on a Mac.
- Drag the red square below to your Desktop.
- Finder will crash and restart.
Yes, I have reported this to apple.
This is a file URL overflow bug. Here the URL is converted to a filename, without proper checking of the extension length. If the extension of the file in the hyperlink URL is longer than 255 characters, finder will crash.
- This issue can also be reproduced in Google chrome.
- Create a new bookmark.
- Edit the bookmark to have the following string for both the Name and URL fields:
- Next, save the bookmark.
- Drag the bookmark to the desktop.
- Finder will crash.