Wow – time flies when you’re having fun…. I’ve now had this printer for over two and a half years now, so this is an update of where things are at.
Aside from the new buildplate, the acrylic top enclosure, one of the other major upgrades I did occurred when my stepper driver broke on the old motherboard. For a while I had scrapped the old motherboard, and had been using a RUMBA board (with replaceable stepper drivers 🙂 )instead.
However, due to more wires failing, and thinking that I might want to sell this printer in a more normal state at some stage, I eventually decided to contact the manufacturer and paid $200 odd for a new motherboard (green board below), and a new wiring harness for the printer as well.
This was quite worthwhile – the old cheap aluminium cables have been replaced by a much much nicer set of cables, and the motherboard quality also took a big leap in the efficiency of the cooling of the stepper drivers, and in the reliability of the board overall.
I also decided to drill some holes in the base of my printer to fit an additional fan, to provide some more powerful active cooling over the stepper drivers.