NEW: Please see the JGAurora A5 wiki for up-to-date firmware & instructions!
New year, new 3D printer! This one was kindly received for review from JGAurora. I do have an unboxing video here, but for the full review you’ll have to wait… but here’s something fun for the meantime 😀
In the mean time, a group of us have created an optimised custom firmware for this printer with the following benefits:
- Smoother printer movement for better surface printing quality
- Faster and more accurate homing procedure
- Much better calibration of extruder motor for more accurate filament delivery
- Much more accurate calibration of the hot end temperature sensor
- Fewer bugs because of latest version of Marlin software – no more random printer resets
- Full source to enable mods and enhancements
You can download the latest stable tested release here:
Download Moved: Please see the JGAurora A5 wiki for up-to-date firmware & instructions!
Thanks also go to the other members of the team: Telli Mantelli, Kris Waclawski & Michael Gilardi.
Development is happening on Github here (make sure you select the A5 branch and not the 1.1.X branch!!) if you’d like to get involved or contribute. This firmware was prepared from scratch using the latest Marlin base firmware, as JGAurora disrespect the GPL by refusing to provide their modified Marlin firmware!
Installation instructions are provided below, or you may want to watch my video guide here:
How to upload custom firmware on JGAurora A5 3D printer
If you have difficulties compiling, please see this follow up video here:
Custom Firmware Follow up: “Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.”
Please see the JGAurora A5 wiki for up to date firmware & instructions!
For any questions about this firmware, please join us on the JGAurora Forum
Join in with the JGAurora A5 community at
Rev C (21st Jan 2018):
– More accurate hot-end temperature calibration.
– Bed temperature calibration verified.
– Extruder step calibration tweaked (-2%)
Rev B (9th Jan 2018):
– More accurate Extruder step calibration
– Faster homing
– EEPROM Enabled (run Gcode M502 then M500 after flashing to update values from firmware)
– More accurate temperature control of hotend nozzle, with PID control enabled and tuned.
– Print Counter Enabled (M78 gcode command)
– Noisy z-axis issue fixed.
– Bed is still “bang/bang” controlled.
– Preliminary support for additional black and white external graphical LCD control modules (NOT the internal one)
– Discussion re serial baud rate – in this firmware connection rate is still set at 250000, as this is required for front LCD to communicate with mainboard.
JGAurora A5 3D Printer User Manual
I found the printer’s manual hard to read due to the translation issues, so I’ve fixed most of the problems, and have uploaded a revised Word Doc version to dropbox here, and also to Google docs here, where you are also welcome to edit and contribute towards. The Google docs version has some formatting problems from the conversion from Word doc to Google doc, but I’m working on fixing those gradually.